I have been planning to through-hike the Trans-Catalina Trail this spring. A combination of factors have convinced me that I'm better off hiking it in sections.
(1) I don't have a three-day period to tackle the trek.
(2) I could hike 1/3 of the trail in one day (between 12 and 15 miles), but I wouldn't be able to move the next morning. Yes, I know that I could train for the hike, but given my sporadic hiking schedule this spring, I'd never get around to it.
So, I'm dividing the TCT into sections and tackling each separately. I plan to split it into four pieces:
- The East End (the Renton Mine section near Avalon);
- Avalon to the Airport;
- the Airport to Two Harbors; and
- Two Harbors to Starlight Beach.
I doubt that I'll finish them in that order or in those directions, but look for them here over the next six weeks or so!